Google’s latest stand on AI-generated content is the talk of the town. The world’s most used search engine clarifies its stand on content generation with the help of Artificial Intelligence. Google states that it mainly focuses on the quality and value of the content regardless of humans or AI. And this latest update is the direct reversal of its earlier statement. In its earlier statement, Google specifies that AI content is against its guidelines.
John Mueller, the search advocate of Google says that the use of AI in automatically generating content is taken into account as spam as per the search engine’s webmaster guidelines. Google is said to have tools to identify AI content. But the latest update surprised content creators and content marketing teams.
So, let’s know more about Google policies, AI, and the role both have in search engine marketing.
Now, we can begin with AI content and its peculiarity.
AI contents are contents such as blogs, marketing materials, articles, and product descriptions that are generated by a machine on the basis of human search queries. By making use of machine learning, AI organizes and presents information to users. Even though most of us regularly use automated tools, AI content is comparatively new to many. Yet is widely gaining popularity and becoming easily accessible to users. Also, it generates high-quality content that exceeded the expectations of most people. There are numerous companies that make AI content accessible.
Using AI, companies benefit in generating content ideas, writing complete paragraphs with AI, rewriting sentences and paragraphs, and even developing images and videos as per the requirement. However, as a coin has two sides, AI content has its drawbacks too. As AI generates information on the basis of existing data, there is less chance that the content is 100% original. Along with that, it is not always reliable as it takes time to feed up-to-date information to the algorithm.
Even though, Google states that it is not against AI content, does it mean that it will not penalize any content? Well, the answer is a NO. So let’s dive into that.
Will Google Penalize AI Content?
Google will not penalize your content just for the reason that it was generated using AI. But, there is a high chance that Google penalizes or de-indexes your AI content as always if it gave way to search ranking manipulation or spam generation. Below are certain cases where it penalizes AI content.
- Contents that manipulate the search engine rankings. Usually spams.
- While cloaking, that is when the content shown to users is entirely different from the content seen when crawling it.
- When the content is duplicate, that is the content you post is already existing on other sites or even on your site, Google will penalize it. This content will not have any unique value.
- Whether the content is written by AI or humans, if the content is not giving a better experience for users because of its poor quality it can go down.
- Doorway pages, that are created only with the aim of Search Engine Optimization. Therefore the content written using AI will be of no value.
So, we have gone through cases where Google penalizes content regardless of whether it is by humans or AI. Now it’s time to look at the guidelines that Google provides to rank content.
As said earlier, Google always looks at the quality of the content, even if it is by humans or AI. All that matters is quality. Also, it has given certain guidelines with which quality content can be written. These guidelines are altogether known as E-E-A-T. Let’s know that in detail.
With this guideline, Google explains that someone with sufficient experience will be apt for writing about a product or a topic to give the best information.
In this guideline, it signifies that the writer must have enough proficiency and knowledge to write content about a specific topic or a product.
Authoritativeness suggests that the content should be genuine and it should be from an authentic source with good value in the vertical and supported by other reliable sources.
The content you post should devoid of misinformation or malicious intent. And it should be precise, relevant, and up-to-date.
In order to help site owners make their content worthwhile and of high quality, Google recommends evaluating content based on 3 factors. And they are who, how, and why.
- Who: Including a byline stating the author of the content is an effective way to convey the expertise.
- How: Here is where you can show how we create the content. Like including product reviews, surveys, or testimonials in the content. This also signifies the experience they have with the product or service. And if you have used AI for content generation you can explain why you used AI and how beneficial it was.
- Why: This signifies why we create the content. The majority of the content aims to help rectify a problem or offer a solution. Even if it is by AI, the answer should still be to help your users. Also, the content should be people first, if it is not, it will not rank well.
So, Google’s stand on AI is clear. To align with Google Search’s AI-generated content guideline, prioritize crafting original, high-quality content that showcases E-E-A-T: expertise, experience, authority, and trustworthiness. They are commitment to content quality, regardless of how it is produced, has been a guiding principle in delivering reliable, high-quality results to users for years. So if you leverage AI to make your content valuable and of high quality, there is a chance that your content ranks top.
Looking for the best content writing service provider to make your content stay top on the search list? Connect with [email protected] to avail the best content writing service. We have experts in the field to assist you efficiently.